Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Model UN - Peace in the Making

The group touring the city at night
Me and my friends all ready for committee!
Hey everyone! One club I am involved in at school is Model United Nations (MUN). MUN is representation of the real United Nations, where about once a month we go to different schools and represent a country in a UN group, and debate current international issues. Its a great way to get involved in your school while learning about world issues. I am very interested in international relations, and this club is a great way for me to learn more about it. Its a great way to learn about international events and problems plaguing our world today while improving your research and speaking skills. We write speeches and resolutions, while debating with other delegates about the best way to solve each issue. I recommend this club for anyone who is interested in the international field, or just wants to improve their public speaking ability. You can even win awards for your works.
Our school MUNers with our awards after the conference

MUN is also a great excuse to travel. Last weekend I went to UCLA for a MUN conference. This conference was huge, with over 25 schools attending. Since this conference was at such a prestigious university, the stakes were high to preform well. But I ended up wining the highest award for my committee, African Union. This award is called Best Delegate, and you get your very own engraved gavel when you win. The school was beautiful, and made the MUN experience more fun. We got to debate in the university by day, and tour the streets of the city by night! We even stayed overnight in a hotel. And don't forget to wear your business attire while debating! Everyone even dresses the part of a UN official.

Are you involved in an MUN club or something like it? If not, would you be interested in a club like this? Let me know in the comments below!

xoxo

2 comments:

  1. Amanda, this is a great post on Model UN. I'd love to invite you to our Model UN program seeing as you are a qualified high school student.

    Check out our website: JKCP.com and let me know if you have any questions.

    Caleb from Julian Krinsky Camps and Programs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment! I will definitely check out your website it sounds very interesting!

    ReplyDelete