Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Achievement Attire: Preparing for Graduation

My school's IB cap and gowns
Hey everyone! I have only 10 days of high school left until I graduate and start summer! Since senior year is coming to a close, it is time for all seniors to receive their caps and gowns. Each American high school senior receives many things that they wear at the graduation ceremony. A cap and gown is the most important and is the hat and robe worn during graduation. At my school, if you complete the International Baccalaureate program you get to wear a gold robe instead of a brown one! The robes are gold and brown because those are our school colors. Another important part is found on the cap: the tassel! The tassel is originally hung on the right side and it is tradition to move it to the left side once you receive your diploma. It's a super exciting experience! Finally comes what is worn over the gown. Students receive different colored ropes and cords to wear around their necks based on the clubs they were involved in at school. You can get cords for being in any club from Student Government to Spanish Honors Society. This is like a final incentive for being productive in high school. In the picture below, you can see my friends from their gradation with lots of cords! Some even spice up their outfits with flower leis. I cannot wait until I get to wear all this at my graduation in two weeks!
My friends with their gowns and cords at graduation

How do you celebrate graduation? What do you wear during the ceremony? Let me know in the comments!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment